Planning trips for other people means that I always have a running list of things – way too many – that I want to do on my next trip to Italy! In the category of summer concerts in Italy that I’d love to see, here’s what’s currently on my list.
Note that all of these concerts are on every year so if you’re planning your trip right now and see information only for previous years, don’t worry, it’s just early and the information hasn’t been published yet.
Top 10 Summer Concerts in Italy
Updated October 2015: I added one, now there are 11.
- I’d love to see any concert held at Florence’s Boboli Gardens in June or July.
- The Rome Opera performs every summer at the Baths of Caracalla. Tickets go on sale at www.operaroma.it. Tip: wear bug spray.
- A Puccini Opera festival is held in Torre del Lago, near Lucca, is held every July and August. Past performances include Fanciulla del West, Turandot, Tosca, and Madama Butterfly.
- Verona Opera Festival. I’ve written about the Verona Opera Festival before and can’t say enough good things about it. It’s a bucket-list, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Andrea Bocelli does one concert a year, in July, at the Teatro del Silenzio in Lajatico, a town near Volterra. Tickets always sell out way in advance for this performance.
- Lucca’s Summer Festival is held during the month of July and includes more contemporary artists. Past performers include Seal and Mark Knopfler.
- Ravello hosts a chamber music festival every summer, which runs about half of the year. Note however that there are several venues. The most spectacular venue is an outdoor stage with a backdrop of the famous Amalfi coastline.
- Sounds of the Dolomites. I almost made it to this festival last year during my trip to the Dolomites, but we got stuck in Saturday traffic when Italians go on vacation and jam all the roads. This festival is a series of outdoor mountain concerts, some involving significant hikes to the destination.
- Opera at St Mark’s Anglican Church in Florence. I have booked this concert many times for clients and everyone loves it! I still haven’t been and it’s on my list. This is not a summer-only concert, it runs year round, on most nights.
- The Taormina Opera festival is on from May to October and is held in the stunning outdoor amphitheatre in the Sicilian town of Taormina. The setting is unbelievable: the Greek theater was built in 300 BC and guests enjoy a backdrop of the Mount Etna volcano.
Photo of the Verona Opera by Sanjay
Italy Beyond the Obvious will help make your trip truly memorable. Take advantage of our Italy trip planning services for a customized itinerary, or get coaching assistance with our Italy travel consulting services. And if you like what you read, why not subscribe to the Italy Beyond the Obvious blog and get free updates?